Friday, November 10, 2006

Stranded

Three months ago my seven-year-old son announced that he refused to fly anywhere. I humoured him and hoped that he'd forget about it, but he hasn't and keeps reiterating how much he hates the idea of being in a plane. I've tried to explain the physics, but his logicis flawless. He say that he knows that flying is safe, but he doesn't like heights.

I could just tell him that we're going to fly whether he likes it or not, but he is the sort of strong-willed child who will resist to the bitter end. We are stranded in England.

Next year's holiday is in danger of looking like this...

However, if we drive further west to Dorset, the prospect becomes more promising...


But as much as I love Dorset, I was still hoping to travel further afield. On the map of the world below, I have visited the countries in red but there are huge chunks that remain to be explored. I was hoping that my son would soon be old enough to share the adventure, but sadly he seems to be happier playing Gameboy.


Maybe I should take my cue from the members of the A Team who had a novel approach to Mr T's fear of flying...

1 comment:

Steerforth said...

Yes, a trip on the North Sea will be a character-building experience for him.

Sometimes I think that I'm too much of a modern parent, trying to involve my son in the decision making process. My parents simply announced what we were doing and that was that.